Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Rush!!!

          It's so hard to believe that it's almost Christmas, every year just seems to go by faster and faster.  It feels like just yesterday I was at working trying to get everything ready for our spring show and wondering when I was going to take my first vacation.  Now suddenly I find myself knee deep in retail chaos.  There's just nothing like working in retail around this time of year and for anyone that has never had the pleasure, all I can say is... "Good for you!!" lol..  Just Kidding.  But it can be a really stressful time of year. 

         Since I work in a mall, our holiday season gets going as soon as you put your left over turkey in the fridge.  The stores seems to start opening earlier and earlier each year and from a business standpoint I get it.  However, I don't necessarily agree with it.  I think Thanksgiving should be a day to give thanks and spend with the family.  Not rush through dinner so that you can get out there and be first in line for a new tv.  But this seems to be what's happening and like anything else one has to change with the times.  Luckily for me, my store didn't need to open until 8 am on Black Friday so I was able to sleep in, at least as far as a lot of others were concerned.

         Now, after the hussle and bussle of Black Friday, it's time for the waiting game.  My store is known to do well for itself around Christmas but our true crunch time comes only a week to a week and a half before Christmas Eve. So as I mentioned, it's time to hurry up and wait.  I can already sense the mall beginning to get busy though, especially on the weekends, so I know our rush is coming.  I do love this time of year and working in a mall makes it a little more exciting.  Watching all of the family's rush around, laughing and enjoying each others company is always something I enjoy.  It's also fun to watch the excitement in someones eyes when they pick out "The" gift for their loved one... You know, that one that will just make their day!

           So though I do deal with a lot of grumpy, unfriendly and even outright rude people around this time of year I still love the season.  There's just something about this time of year that makes me smile and believe that anything is possible.  It's the magic of the holidays that truly inspires me.  Working in retail it is definitely not an easy time but then nothing ever is.  I just remember that after all of the madness and craziness this time of year brings, it'll always lead up to a lovely calm.  And it's in those moment of calm when I find my holiday spirit!!   My Christmas joy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment