Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Choice is The Voice!

     I've never really been very big into the reality tv. My thoughts are if I wanted to watch reality I would just go to the mall and just watch people, which is always entertaining.  When I watch tv I like to be swept away in what's going on, lose track of time, and forget the day (even if only for a short time).  Some of the talent shows have caught my attention though.  They're more entertaining to me than watching people just bickering and arguing.  For the longest time I was completely hooked on American Idol.  It was funny, crazy, and filled with drama (and that was just the judges).  For the first two or three seasons I was glued to the tv, watching in awe as one contestant after another got up on the stage and sang their heart out.  Being something I could never do, I have great respect for not just the people that succeed to making it on the show, but those that even tried.  We got some great singers out of this show too: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Jordan Sparks to name a few... Then there were the runners up.  Even though they weren't crowned the winners, they took hold of their time in the lime light and ran with it.  My personal favorites were Chris Daughtry and for many others, Adam Lambert.  But after a couple seasons my interest in religiously watching the show dropped off.  I'm not sure if it was when the judges started changing or if I was just ready for something new, but I can honestly say I haven't watched an episode in quite a while.

     Then there was America's Got Talent.  Though I don't watch this show as often as I used to, it is still a favorite of mine.  However, when I was first introduced to the show I just couldn't get enough.  Howie Mandel cracks me up, Sharon Osbourne is just a treat to watch, and (at the time I started watching it) Pierce Morgan was that grumpy man that you couldn't help but like.  Now of course the show has been graced with the presence of THE Howard Stern and I just can't say enough about how much I like him.  Though a lot of the time I think the best part of the show is watching Nick Cannon - he's hilarious.  Then there is the amazing talent that gets showcased on the show.  Each act is so unique and vastly different from the last, you just never know what you're going to see next.  My favorite categories for the show's acts are: the magicians, singing, dancing, and the more theatrical acts.  Micheal Grimm, who I not only liked from his first audition but also won season 5, is a favorite of mine from the show.  Prince Poppycock though was a joy to watch and was (in my household) our guilty pleasure.  The live shows are the best.  They are always breathtaking, stunning, surprising, and sometimes extremely heart wrenching. 

 
     The show that I now have to see and just love so much is The Voice.  It's chock full of great judges (Christina Aguilera, Ceelo Green, Adam Levine, and Blake Shelton - hosted by the fabulous Carson Daly), intriguing twists and turns, and absolutely amazing talent.  I think what first got me interested in the show was the fact that each contestant was going to be judged purely on how they sang.  I love this idea because there are so many times in shows like this one that I feel a person ends up getting picked based purely on their looks.  I think it's important for a person, regardless of appearances, to be able to given the chance to shine, and there is some incredibly talented singers on this show.  People enter in videos of themselves for the next season, usually before the end of the previous season, and a handful are picked from them to come on the show to try and impress the judges.  If picked from there, they get to go through to a battle round, knockout round, and then it's off to the live shows for those lucky enough to get picked.  It's a truly inspiring show, so many of these contestants may never have had this kind of chance if they hadn't made it on the show.  Then there's the judges.  I just can't say enough about them.  They are not only funny, heartwarming and inspirational, but they are also all major players in their own field.  Making them the perfect coaches for these young stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment